Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Karin is now in Takotna where I am sure she will do her 24 hour mandatory rest, which for her is 25 hours 16 minutes.  Takotna is her favorite checkpoint as the village goes all out for the mushers and feed them very well.  She has repairs to do on her sled as I understand from an article in the Alaska Dispatch, a local newspaper.

"Karin Hendrickson asked for extra hose clamps, hoping to add more sturdiness to the back of her sled. She slammed into a tree branch 10 miles past an ice flow known as the Post River glacier, knocking her sled apart. She was able to rig it back together with clamps, tape and string, though she wasn't sure how long it would hold, and she doesn't have a backup sled.
'It's not going all the way to Nome like that,' she said. 'So it should be interesting.'"

I feel as though I'm living in parallel worlds knowing that the mushers are out in the wilderness doing their thing and I am watching on the GPS and the updates as well as working in the various sections of the vounteer groups.  And then there is your world.

Hope to add some pictures tomorrow.  Today was not a great day, but I'm back up to 90%.  I did, however, have to reschedule a hot stone massage I was so looking forward to.   Will now have it done on Friday afternoon.

By the way, I am trying to get the map so you can use it more easily.  It is currently to the right of the blog.  I also have 4 more dogs picture to get up.  Karin has dropped one dog but I don't know who or why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment and/or ask questions.